Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Movie Review: The Forbidden Kingdom & Black Moon


"The Forbidden Kingdom" (2008)

There are some things you may or may not know about me, those things being that A.) I love Kung-Fu and B.) I love Jackie Chan (his older movies, none of that "buddy flick" crap). Thusly, I really liked this movie a lot. The action was cool, the story was exciting, and Jet Li's weird, squeaky voice finally worked for him in his role as the Monkey King. The lead character, a loser kid from South Boston, kind of sucks, but the rest of the movie makes up for it. A lot of people will shrug this off as big budget, Hollywood garbage (something I typically do, e.g. the upcoming "Speed Racer" movie), but this film has a lot of heart and a lot of fun.


"Black Moon" (1975)

I goddamn hated this movie. Sometimes my friends have movie night at their house, and I chose to go over when they watched this. I was really interested by the cool title and original plotline, that there is a war going on between genders. I thought this was intriguing, maybe it might have an interesting twist or lesson, but it turned out that that idea lasts for about 10 minutes. The rest of the movie follows the lead character as she wanders around a house in the middle of the countryside as completely nonsensical stuff happens to her for about two hours. As you can see it was called "An apocalyptic Alice in Wonderland", but even that's a stretch. "Alice in Wonderland" was weird, but at least it had a plot. When people make the stereotypical joke about the "French foreign film that doesn't make any sense", this is what they're talking about. I was one of 4 people who managed to watch the whole movie, and there were a lot more when it started.

No comments: